Yay! The spring sunshine is finally here (being a typical Brit, you know we always have to start a conversation by talking about the weather) and I’m hoping it stays so dishes like this can be enjoyed al fresco!
I’ve told you of my love of okra before but second to that is corn on the cob – together they make my dream breakfast dish, second to any egg dish.
This is a quick, easy and super tasty breakfast to whip up at the weekend. Team it with my CHAM CHAM Hot Pepper Sauce or my scotch bonnet aioli and you’ll have some extra heat in you to set you up for the day!
The prep. part
Makes 8 – 10 fritters
100g corn kernels, cut from uncooked cob
100g okra, cut into 1/2cm slices
5g coriander, roughly torn up
1 spring onion, finely sliced
100g plain flour
25g butter to grease pan
Salt and pepper to season
The assembling part
- Add the flour, egg and buttermilk to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined, but ensure not to overwork it otherwise you’ll have tough fritters.
- Fold in the corn kernels, okra and coriander into the mixture along with seasoning it with some salt and pepper.
- Put a frying pan onto a low – medium heat and add some of the butter to grease the pan as you make each batch.
- Once the butter has melted, ladle the fritter mixture into the frying pan in circular motions, forming the outer edge of the fritter first and working your way in. This will create a sort of wall so that the mixture does not spread across the frying pan. Continue doing this until you have filled the frying pan.
- Fry for 4 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Repeat until you finish the mixture and serve!